Newfoundland Nutrition & Grooming
Newfoundland’s thrive on most any high quality commercial dog—some good choices are Canidae; Nutro Natural Choice or Old Mother Hubbard.
Important — Fresh Water should be available at all times!
You must monitor your dog’s weight/condition. Most dogs (especially Newfy’s) will eat themselves until they’re overweight if allowed. Male adults typically weight 130 to 150 lbs and females weigh 100 to 125. At the correct weight you should feel their ribs with light pressure. Your dog will be healthier when slightly underweight as compared to overweight.Typical twice per day feeding for Bear N Mind adult Newfs:
- 1 ½ to 2 cups of high quality kibble—the quantity variance is dependant on if you wish your dog to gain or lose weight
- ½ to 1 cup of canned (any brand as long as labeled complete) or ground or chopped meat—beef, chicken or turkey
- Raw/thawed green beans can be added as low calorie bulk
- Cooked carrots, fresh apples, cooked rice can be added as a treat and to vary the diet
- Vitamin supplements—500 mg Vit C; 200 IU Vit E—all once per day
- 1 heaping tablespoon of low fat plain yogurt once per day
- We feed a joint lubricant—Glucosamine (1500 mg,) Chondroitin Sulfate (1200 mg,) with MSM (500 mg) twice per day
At Bear N Mind, grooming is often a social event. Our puppies learn early that grooming tools mean one on one time and extra treats are always available on the grooming table or on the rug in front of the TV.
For your puppy’s coat you’ll need a good quality slicker brush, comb and coat rake. For the feet you need blunt end scissors to trim hair between the pads and of course toe nail clippers.
Any good quality dog shampoo will work for bathing at 4 to 6 week intervals—you’ll know when your puppy needs a bath.
Cleaning the ears every two weeks is important—a soft cloth and liquid ear cleaner available at your local pet store will do this job.